Monday, November 28, 2011

20 THINGS TO SAY IN YOUR LIFETIME

WhisperImage by Chris Sgaraglino via Flickr Words have impact. From, "Ask not what you can do for your country...." to "One small step for mankind." But whether in the midst of a phenomenal event or an every day circumstance, there are moments when what we say is as much or more important than what we do.

Having worked in the field of communication for years, I think there are 1000 Things You Should SAY  Before You Die...But 1,000 would be far too many for this post, so I picked the 20 most significant phrases you should utter before you die. 

1) I made a mistake...accept the ownership of your debacle and move on. It can be invigorating and life changing.

2) I don't know...Only God is all knowing, so never be too wise to admit you are not God.

3) I need help...Seriously a phrase that becomes difficult to say unless you are capable of humbling yourself enough to keep learning.

4) It was my fault...Like acknowledging a mistake but actually accepting ownership of it without blaming someone else.

5) It doesn't matter...sometimes it really doesn't and hearing yourself say it aloud validates that.

6) What can I do to help? ...Often we don't know what to do in circumstances but asking might at least admit you are open to suggestions?

7) This makes my heart happy...Do you know how often telling someone that who has made your heart smile is a true statement of gratitude.

8) I'm so sorry...But not just those 3 words, follow it up with, how can I fix this or make it better?

9) You did a great job...Often people just want to know they accomplished something others recognize.

10) I'm ready to....Until you make a commitment to start something, it is often impossible to commit to stopping something.


11) What's your opinion?...Then really listen and hear another person's thoughts on something.


12) We are in this together...Everyone likes to know that when it really comes down to it, they have support.


13) Thank you because...We often thank someone regularly but like "have a nice day", it becomes little more than a cliche unless we specifically volunteer what really made us grateful.


14) Let it go...A good thing to tell yourself or another when there is nothing else left to say or do.

WordsImage by Larah McElroy via Flickr

15) I forgive you...How different the world would be if we just offered those words as a peace offering


16) I respect you...Same with this response. It's a level playing field when you let someone know regardless of his/her stand on something, they have your respect.


17) I agree...Simple and often just one vote of confidence for someone who goes out on a limb.


18) I couldn't have done it without you because...Everyone wants to believe they offer something special, but when you notice it and comment what really stood out, it becomes a great personal compliment.


19) Where am I headed?...A good question to ask ourselves regularly to determine if we are even remotely in the direction we set out to be going.


20)  I really love you...Self Explanatory but really needs to be said often especially to those who matter most in our lives. We never know when those might be the last words someone hears, but how sweet the sound.


There are probably countless other comments to make sure you use in your lifetime.  
What's your favorite?
What do you wish you  WOULD have said if given the chance to "do it over"
 

1 comment:

  1. my favorite is-- I am sorry and to follow it up with how can I fix it and make it better. It's so important to realize that we need to back up the apology with action.Thanks Kathy for a great read.
    Nita Fielding

    ReplyDelete

TWEET THIS BLOG

Blog Archive