Monday, March 28, 2011

FIVE THINGS I LEARNED THE HARD WAY

What Have We Learned, Charlie Brown?Image via WikipediaThere sometimes is no way to truly accept something but by learning it the hard way. I have been there and know while I would have much preferred to have these brilliant facts of life simply slip into my being without experiencing the sometimes awkward and often painful acknowledgment of their truths, I am at least relieved to know I have learned these at last.

1. WE ARE CREATED TO FORGIVE
     It is far easier to hold a grudge but far more painful to allow it to pervasively affect our lives. We don't need to give everyone a second chance but we need to forgive and move on and ask nothing more than the same. If God can forgive me, we must do the same to one another.
  
2.INTEGRITY ALWAYS TRUMPS KNOWLEDGE
    I may have known some things about my profession, the world or life but all academic success in the world was inadequate until I could relate to someone because they trusted my motives, values and who I said I was. Intelligence does not necessarily make anyone believable.

3.WHAT I THOUGHT WOULD SCAR ME WAS OFTEN A VICTORIOUS BATTLE WOUND.
    It may have been difficult to realize it at the time, but looking back, many of my current joys were the direct results of experiences that taxed my soul and initially discouraged my spirit. Whether relational, financial or professional, what took more sweat and toil to survive also left a sweet residue to remind me of my capabilities.

4.I AM MY OWN WORST ENEMY.
    It's easy to blame others, circumstances and situations I might have thought prevented me from a goal or a destination but in the end I am responsible for what I do, how I respond and where I choose to end up. It's a simple as that.

5.CONTENTMENT IS CHOSEN NOT ACHIEVED.
    You can spend a lifetime chasing what you think will make you happy but only discover once you have captured it, that you must move on to wanting more. I will never be satisfied looking for happiness in things, people or activities. Learning to appreciate one blessing, I discovered more than I ever realized I had.

As a caveat, I would add a #6...I AM MEANT TO BE UNLIKE ANYONE ELSE
    When I quit trying to constantly fit in, agree or disagree with the masses, think and act like everyone else and do what I thought people want me to do, I can listen to my own soul and do what feels right according to me. It is life altering and downright refreshing to accept this.


Maybe you also can relate to some things I learned. If you have learned some things the hard way, please share your thought and lessons as well.


Life is a story we all tell with our lives, everything we learn is a gift we can share with someone else.





  

No comments:

Post a Comment

TWEET THIS BLOG

Blog Archive