Monday, August 22, 2011

Everything's Under Control...Oh, Yeah.

So here I sit and I guess it's"tight" the way I was asked to sit by some strange voice on the other end of the phone who assured me she had everything "in control."Not in the comfortable jammies with coffee in hand that I usually enjoy when updating my blog, but in a environment that should be quiet and relaxing called the "library". However, my local library is for some reasons infused with children and for some reason no one is even encouraging anyone to be quiet.  I would yell at the top of my lungs too, except I don't have the energy as nearly all of mine has been redirected to dealing with individuals in customer service who have already "not made my day."

It started Saturday when less than 48 hours after purchasing a vehicle my check engine light came on and it required a trip to the dealer who gave me a loaner(one with a big advertisement on the front and the sticker with the msrp and other details pasted on the side...yes, just what I want to be driving) and promised to call Monday to tell me about my vehicle.

Then yesterday, the computer I was using at home decided to just withdraw from internet access by way of a faulty modem. Oh, it wasn't that easy. It took 1 1/2 hrs. on the phone to customer support and tech support to finally determine that it was their modem that proved faulty. Of course, I had to find that out after telling some innane voice recognition machine the number I was calling about at least 6-7 times as I got hustled through various departments. This included having to answer a security question, give the last 4 digits of my social and probably in the next decade will require me sharing my current weight, marital status and credit score...just because it can. After customer no-service from tech support who really didn't seem to know what they were doing but did tell me they were doing it from the Phillipines, it was suggested that I call the sales department in the morning(EARLY...by 8 a.m. I was told) to place an order for a free wireless modem for which she told me I was "illegible"(eligible in her dialect).

I called at 8 a.m. this morning only to be told it was too EARLY to reach sales and to try back 1/2 hour later,which I did.  I was then told I was only eligible if I added another $5.00 month to my bill for home networking(which I did have until last month when another person attempted to save me money on my home phone by downgrading my account).  After agreeing to the upgrade, I was taken back to technical support where I was informed that even though I called EARLY...It took 2 hours to process my request for an upgrade and then it might be too late to order the modem today. I was sent back to customer service who indicated they could order my modem however it would take even longer and promised to call me as soon as the 2 hours was up to indicate it was processed.

In the meantime, I called the service department at the dealer where I purchased my vehicle. After the first person answered, I was transferred back to service where after waiting on the phone to speak to a technician for 3 minutes, I was promptly disconnected. After another call back, I was told, everyone in service "must have been with other customers" and was asked to hold again. Several minutes on hold later, I drove to the dealership to see what was wrong with a car I have actually driven less than 2 days. My salesperson connected me with the head of service who assured me he was looking to fix my car today and had "everything under control" and I would get a call shortly.That was 3 hours ago.

However, I did just receive a call from my internet provider who told me my order for a modem, placed nearly 6 hours ago still had not processed and I should just "sit tight" and she would call me as soon as it went through. This being said, an overnight delivery of a new modem looks less likely  will be today.(I was also told overnight can actually take 2 days!!)

Exasperated with the trivia that often bogs us down, I decided to do what I often do best in a crisis; put it into words and then be grateful it is not worse. I have not heard earth shattering news today. My loved ones are still well and my home, sans internet is still comfortable and well stocked. The library may be far from quiet, the car far from driveable and the internet provider far from capable but my God is not and in spite of what doesn't work, He always does. He is truly on call 24/7. He will not route me to another department, fail to apprise me of my current situation or status or give me any double talk. He will not try to sell me something I don't want or need, or even make me take something I should have. He will simply listen and do what God does...provide what we need if we just ask. He may make me wait for some things He does not think are right for me; now or in the future. He may not answer every prayer or even fill every desire, but He will meet every need and will not abandon me in time of distress.

The minutia of life often gets in the way of allowing us to recognize what really is important. Having to deal with repairs, broken equipment or people who are not always honest or responsible is frustrating and annoying however I am not dealing with broken relationships because of dishonest people or bodies that need repaired when they fail to function as expected. I am dealing with a few glitches that do put a dent in my productivity but maybe are a divine way for me to use the time to be good to myself and take some extra time to play with my dog, read a book, call a friend or enjoy a nice long bubble bath. After all, I can't stay in the library all day, drive far on a loaner or even go home and answer email :>)

Life will always throw us curves and when we can't catch them, maybe it is important to remember what really matters. God will handle the erratic throws when we can't make the catch. He will run the bases when we can't seem to get up to speed and He will most certainly call us safe long after we have missed the plate. So, now with that thought behind me, can anyone say, "Magic Jack" and public transportation or just, "take a breath and enjoy all the things about this day, I might have missed if running around in my car or surfing the net."

Unbelievable, the alarm in the library just sounded and a voice over the intercom just announced, "They are working on our security system, don't panic, everything is under control."

I am thinking...unless you are God...not so much.

How about you? What things really frustrate you but when put in perspective are really just life's trivia that distract us into believing they are as important as what really matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

TWEET THIS BLOG

Blog Archive