Wednesday, December 14, 2011

ON THE THIRD MAY OF CHRISTMAS

LONDON, ENGLAND - APRIL 06:  A girl plays with...Image by Getty Images via @daylife
English: Chris really does make amazing cappuc...                                      Image via WikipediaFor a long time I used to believe that I had to get everything done to deserve a slice of joy. But there was so much that always needed done from laundry to cooking, working to cleaning, there were seasons of raising children, owning a business and being "on" 24/7...I had joy but I often didn't seek it out as easily as it was available. Joy was something I gave to myself wrapped in the paper of "everything else."...I loved being a wife and mother, loved a clean house, a fabulous dinner, a thriving business, a happy family and I thought my joy was in all of those things but never realized how pervasive it went.

As I got older, I realized in incidental, everyday moments, joy was readily present. I just had to accept it. There was joy in watching the baby birds hatch right outside of my windows, joy in a phone call from an old friend, joy in a good glass of wine and a great book, joy in a blissful nap, joy in petting my dog, taking a walk, sitting and just enjoying being.

Joy is never something that should be placed on hold until the time is right, or delayed until all the stars align. Joy needs to be embraced regularly and in all circumstances. We miss so very much when we fail to see all the joy around us, but remove those things from our lives and we will truly see the void.

MAY YOU SEE YOUR JOY OFTEN AND GIVE YOURSELF PERMISSION TO BE BLESSED BY ITS PRESENCE ALL AROUND YOU.

Русский: Кашира в мае - везде сирень. English:...Image via Wikipedia
I would so miss my friends and family, my health and other blessings if they were removed from my life, but I would also miss my joys; the smell of coffee on a cold morning, the first blooms on the dogwood trees every spring, the sounds of some great jazz on a summer evening, the delicious bite of a favorite dessert, watching the squirrels play outside, hearing Christmas Carols, watching shooting stars, the smell of fresh laundry, the pungent smell of lilacs or cracking open a great book are just a few of the amazing joys I get to experience.

What about you? What joys are you eliminating from your life or which go unrecognized and seldom savored because you are too busy to allow yourself a little slice of joy, especially meant for you. Everyone has their own little bits of "joy"...you were meant to claim yours.

This year, find your joy and promise to never let it go again.

The Lord has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy Psalm 126:3

No comments:

Post a Comment

TWEET THIS BLOG

Blog Archive